Entry Visa & Stay

Who requires a visa?

Studying in Spain will not only give you access to a world-class, state of the art education but will also reward you with an internationally accredited degree.

However, applicants must comply with all the requirements to be permitted to stay legally in Spain during the study program.
Depending on the party’s country of residence and nationality, he/she might be required to apply for a student’s visa.
Study visa is required for students who have been officially admitted to an Institution for a duration of more than 90 days.

If the program is short term (not more than 90 days), a visa may or may not be required depending on the student’s nationality. See Schengen Visa

IMPORTANT: The following information is to only provide a guideline of the requirements needed to apply for a study visa in Spain. It is best to contact the nearest Spanish Consulate or Embassy to obtain the official information as requirements or information may vary depending on your country of origin or nationality.

What documents will be required?

  • Student Visa Application
  • Valid passport
  • Recent coloured passport size photo
  • Official Admissions Letter from the school or University in Spain indicating the location of the institution, duration of the course and dates of attendance.
  • Medical Insurance
  • Medical Certificate
  • Proof of Financial Solvency
  • Proof of Stay/Accommodation in Spain
  • Criminal Record Clearance
  • If MINOR, parent’s or guardians’ identity information and birth certificate of the applicant.
  • Authorization Letter from the parents/guardian
  • Proof of payment of the Visa Application Fee (Abono de tasa)

IMPORTANT: Visa application must be done personally by the interested party or by the parents or guardian in case of a minor or by any legal representative as accredited.

Time required to issue visa:

Waiting period starts within a month starting right after the day that the visa application was submitted.

However, additional documents may be required or an interview with the applicant which may extend the release of results. It is advised that visa application must be accomplished minimum of 3 months before the intended start of the program to have ample preparation time.

Once visa application is completed, the Consular Office will give the applicant a copy of the application with a tracking number or code that the interested party can use to check online the status of the visa in the following link:

What is the cost of a visa?

The cost of the visa varies for each country. Consult the local Spanish Consulate or Embassy for the updated information regarding fees and rates.

How long is the visa valid for?

If the duration of the study does not exceed to 180 days, the visa will be valid for the entire duration of the program and obtaining the National Identity Card (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjera) is not obligatory.

If the study program exceeds 180 days, the visa is only valid for 90 days
and the student must apply for the National Identity Card (Tarjeta de Identidad Extranjera) within a month upon arrival in Spain. The TIE can be obtained in any Immigration Office or Police Headquarters assigned for the processing of the said permit.

Visa Renewal

A student is allowed to renew his/her Student permit every year during the entire program if the duration of the study is more than one year. (Ex. 3 year Bachelors Program).

For those who only took a year, students can apply for a Residence Permit instead of the student renewal where applicant will be permitted to stay for another year while looking for employment or for a business start up in Spain. Renewal of visa can be done 60 days before the expiration date or 90 days after the initial permit has expired.
IMPORTANT: It is always best to renew the student permit before it expires as renewal results may take up to 3 months.

The Swiss School of Management team will extend any help or information possible to make sure that our students are guided accordingly with all the pertinent procedures required during their stay.

Spanish rulings change every now and then so it is advised that checking for new information in the appropriate official government websites must be considered.


General Information about Spain

For Citizen Services including Consular services, visas etc.

For list of Consulate Offices and Embassies

*Note: Swiss School of Management is not responsible for the correctness of the above information. Information is subject to change pending changes in the laws of the country.

Discover More

Accreditations & collaborations
Read more »

Our Campus
Read more »

Faculty & Staff members
Read more »